Monday, February 18, 2013

Motivation Monday- What Keeps me Running

Today for Motivational Monday, I'm going to share a "Things I Love about Running" list. I'm definitely what you'd consider a new Runner- I've only been running frequently since November, but I'm already hooked!
Here's what keeps me running:

Race Day
Although I do really enjoy training most days, races are what keep me motivated on those dreaded long-run days! It's not so much the "beating other people" (since I'm still a slow-ass runner!) but it's the ability to run with others, as well as the desire to challenge myself and beat my own PR from my last race!

Even signing up for my next race is a motivation- knowing I have a specific event to train for helps me stick to my training schedule; there's a reason I'm working this hard!
Self-Discipline
I enjoy a good challenge, and I am very motivated by overcoming obstacles. Because of this, I really appreciate the self-discipline that running has helped me to develop within myself. Whether it's discipline in making and following a training schedule, discipline in eating healthy and "clean", or the discipline to take a Rest Day when I really just want to train through it, Running has helped me improve as a person.

Gear & Swag 
I'm not a huge shopper, but I DO really like to have clothes that fit me! With the frequent weight loss in the past 5 months, I've got to invest in a lot of new clothes. I do think of it as an investment; if I feel comfortable, supported, and put together, I'm more likely to be successful. That applies to work clothes and business, but also to running & workout gear. I also believe that while you CAN workout in anything, a few key, high-quality pieces, like fitted running shoes, a nice pair of workout gloves, and some cold-weather gear can make a world of difference in your performance. As for swag, who doesn't love a race tee or a finisher's medal or a tech beanie? A souvenir of my hard work is a reward for a job well done :)

Running Community
A great surprise about beginning to run was stumbling upon on supportive community of runners online! When I signed on for the 13 in 2013 challenge where I will be running a race every month (plus an extra one!), I met a lot of supportive folks on the facebook page & on twitter, who have been inspiring, helpful, and encouraging! From affirming that yes, it's possible to go from 5k to Half Marathon in less than a year's time, to sharing stories of their own fitness successes and challenges, it's been great to tap into a network of passionate people!

In an effort to keep myself accountable, here's my workout plan for the week!

Workouts for the week of 2/18-
  • Monday: StrongLifts & Lowerbody weights (60 mins)
  • Tuesday: Hill Reps Run 4 miles (40 mins)
  • Wednesday: StrongLifts & Upperbody weights (60 minutes)
  • Thursday: Spinning & Yoga Flow (50 + 75 mins)
  • Friday: Easy Run 3.1 miles (30 mins)
  • Saturday: StrongLifts & Upperbody weights (60 mins)
  • Sunday: Long Run 7.5 miles (70 mins)
What's going to keep you going strong this week?

Find it and make it happen! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I find everything you said about running something I love too. There's nothing that gets me more excited and hyped then showing up on race morning and feeling the energy of the crowd. It always gets me excited for the next race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alicia! Yes it's amazing how much the crowd or even other runners can be motivating to me during a race! There's something that just gets to me about people working towards fitness together. LOL sometimes I get a little teary-eyed at the start of a race :)

    ReplyDelete