Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Race Recap- Super 5K, Novi MI

On Sunday, I ran the Super 5K, a Superbowl Day 5K (as the name implies) in Novi, Michigan. It was my first time running the Super 5K, and I guess it was a new route, but it was new to me anyway! Overall, a great race! 

Race Highlights

Pre-Race Training: Since I'm doing 13 running events this year, I have been consistently training since I ran the Turkey Trot in November of last year. To prep for the Super 5K I had been running 3 times a week, 2 short(er) days of 2.5-4 miles a day, with one long run where I am building up mileage, simultaneously working up towards the Freep Half Marathon in October! I knew I could run a 5K already, having 2 others under my belt in the past 3 months.

Registration and Packet Pick-up: Registration was online through the RunningFit website, which was nice and easy. There was an optional pre-race day packet pick up at the Novi Civic Center (on race site) the Saturday before, and I chose to go and get my bib and swag early- nice option! Packet pick-up was pretty straight forward, and early pick-up helped me to mentally prepare for "race-mode"!

Race Day and Course:  It was a brisk- ok who am I kidding, damn cold- 10 degrees outside on race day, and was a bit windy as well! Luckily I had swung by Running Fit, a local chain of running apparel stores, to get a cold-weather top. I was decked out in a sweat-wicking base layer, a thermal shirt over that, and my new asics running top over that (pic on the right)! I put on my new tech beanie, and a winter hat on over that, and I had on two pairs of spandex pants and two pairs of socks on!

The participants mosied towards the start line, and at 9AM we were off. I was way at the back of the pack, since I had to use the restroom before the race and stood in line for 20 minutes to do so (Never Again!!). It was funny because I didn't hear any starting gun or starting announcements, so when the pack took off, it felt like a sudden start to the race! The course was nice loop down Taft Rd. through a neighborhood near the Novi High School campus, and leading back out onto Taft Rd again for the finish. there were a few small hills that I didn't expect-a good reminder to do some higher-incline treadmill workouts in my next month of training!

I felt really good and strong in Mile 1, and warmed up quickly. Mile 2 seemed to take a while to come, but I kept busy by keeping my eyes on the roads to make sure I didn't slip and do a faceplant! We finished circling through the neighborhood and came out onto Taft Rd for the end of Mile 2, and hit Mile 3 right before the finish, turning back into the High School complex. There were also GREAT volunteers along the route that were encouraging participants as they went; I really appreciated that. I always wave at the volunteers, and a returned wave, smile or cheer can keep me going strong for the next quarter to half mile sometimes! There were lots of folks cheering at the end, which is always a good last half-mile pick-me-up!

My Results: I was hoping to finish the race with a time of 28 minutes or less. My last recorded 5K time was 29:42 at the Smoke the Turkey run in November, although we did the Commitment Day 5K on Jan 1st and I estimated my time to be 29:00. Although I've been running a 5K on the treadmill indoors in between 26:14-26:50, that doesn't include the 30 second water breaks I take every 10 minutes. The 28:00 goal time also factored in the cold, which is always a bit of a shock to the system! I kicked it into high gear for the last .25 mile, and crossed the finish line strong!

The finish line clock said 29:32, and I was a bit disappointed. I started a mental cheerleading routine- 

"That's an improvement from your Smoke the Turkey time- any improvement is something to be proud of..",

and then remembered that the counter reflected the race start time, not my start time! I practically ran indoors to the after-party to see where the results had been posted, and got to see my REAL finishing time: 27:17! Out of my Age Group (Females 24-29) I finished 18th out of 86- not too shabby! Considering the cold weather and the fact that during the race I ran the entire thing (vs taking water breaks like in training), I am SO happy with my time, and it's better than I had hoped for!

Race Swag: In addition to the great tech beanie, which is an awesome addition to my running apparel drawer, the first 2,000 finishers received a cool pint glass!

Overall thoughts: This was a fun, enjoyable Winter race, and a good idea, since I totally pigged out at our Superbowl Party later in the afternoon. Pretty close to home, great swag, well organized race, timely posting of race results; not too much more you can ask for!

If you're lining up your running schedule for 2014, consider adding the Super 5K to your list!

1 comment:


  1. The wonderful uniform tattoo online style and design need to to start with have a high degree of harmonization unity microscopic of imagining and macroscopic imagining. Costume design object, the uniforms of course, isn't any exception, and it free shipping stores is to beautify the folks who confirmed their class and temperament; though on the other hand, the uniforms to face a gaggle, the designer should be capable to precisely forecast sure people superimposed fusion, no matter if express the spirit and philosophy from the entire team. Just the elegance of the particular person, not the overall attractiveness uniforms wholesale ties messy; whilst only the over-all splendor, no particular person beauty uniforms is simply too shallow.



    ReplyDelete