Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 31: My Post Whole30 Wrap-up!

Yesterday was the day, friends. The LAST day of my #Whole30 program, which I started on January 1st! It's been quite an adventure. Some days seemed never-ending, and others flew by. Most days, I felt excited, refreshed, and challenged by this new lifestyle. Some days, I felt defeated and felt like quitting. But I did it!!

Post Whole30 Reflections

Biggest Challenges: 
  • Going out to eat and staying compliant
  • Resisting the Jewish Grandmother-offered snacks, with a side of guilt about why I'm "so thin now"
Easier than I Thought:
  • Because there were lots of strict rules, it was easier than I thought to follow them
Favorite benefit:
  • I don't think I can choose- but I feel great and that's probably the best benefit for me. No bloated feeling, no cheese-induced bathroom trips.. so nice!

Before Whole30
  • 117 lbs
  • Always noshing on chocolate in the afternoon
  • Afternoon tiredness hit me every day at 3pm
  • Trouble turning down unhealthy foods when offered
  • Potential sensitivities to gluten and lactose
  • Lots of guilt around what I ate that didn't make me feel good

After Whole30
  • 111 lbs
  • I have "pre"-abs that are starting to show!
  • Have almost eliminated "bored snacking"
  • Comfortable with no added sugar in Tea, Sweet Potatoes, other "desserts"
  • Found lots of new ways to incorporate more veggies into my diet, as well as protein
  • Knowing that I "Eat Clean" makes me feel good, mentally & physically

Challenges Ahead:
  • Going "off-plan" and still being able to eat healthfully 
  • Reincorporating gluten and grains without going overboard and becoming the Pasta Queen again!
  • Figuring out a way to fit occasional healthy desserts into my diet without it being an every-day occasion.
So off I go! For the next few days I am going to try to re-incorporate some dairy products- namely cottage cheese and greek yogurt. I am nervous for the way my stomach might feel when I eat these things, but I know that if they bother me, I can simply eliminate them from my diet!

My Plan for the weeks ahead

Eat Clean(er)

  • 6-8 servings Vegetables/day
  • 2-3 servings of protein/day from:
    •  sustainable meat & eggs
    • legumes
    • nut butters
    • cottage cheese/greek yogurt
  •  2-3 servings of Fruits/day
  • 2-3 servings of Whole grains/day
  • Chocolate in moderation (2-3 servings per week)
  • Avoid:
    • Refined/enriched grain items 
    • Milk and cheese (not including cottage cheese/greek yogurt)
    • Added sugars, although prioritizing honey & maple syrup as sweeteners when applicable

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete